Music is what sets the tone for any event. It can be the background sounds that allow your guests to feel comfortable, the rhythms that entice them to mingle, or the beats that get them to cut-up the dance floor. No matter the occasion, the ambiance is created largely from music.
To ensure your event has a positively memorable atmosphere, there are a few tips to keep in mind when looking for the right DJ:
- Always meet with your potential DJ: Ask if they are going to be the person who will be there the day of your event or assure you meet the person who will.
- Make sure you get along with them: This person will be interacting with your family and close friends you have to be comfortable with their personality, voice, and demeanor.
- Be knowledgeable about their experience: Check online reviews, testimonials, and industry awards.
- Communicate with then: Is it easy to talk to them? Do they listen to your needs and educate you? Do they offer helpful suggestions and make you feel at ease? You should be able to answer “YES” to all of those questions
- Ask how they play their music: Is it a pre-programmed play list of the “standard wedding music” or do they play based on your requests? Will they play to the crowd? Take requests? Will they do live mixing or do they walk-away from their equipment? –This is an important one, specifically for weddings, as we know it’s not only a blending of families but also bringing together different age groups. There are grandparents to young children. There is am appropriate time of the reception for all the genres of music, Will they play music to make the event enjoyable for everyone?
- The last and biggest is, do they understand YOUR style?
Remember that it is not just about the equipment or expansive music library. Your wedding is a celebration for you and your guests, trusting that the DJ understands you, the setting, and prioritizes the event as a professional should be the deciding factors when choosing to hire him or her.